About Our Location
Your Guide to Wilkes-Barre
At Wilkes University, you’ll discover your future on a campus that melds the past and the present.
Our compact, 35-acre campus blends stately mansions with state-of-the-art facilities in a historic downtown neighborhood. Take a walk and enjoy some delicious cuisine from around the world. Visit the River Common Park for a jog, bike ride or picnic. Hop in the car and take advantage of the recreational activities available in the nearby Pocono Mountains - when you’re finished studying, of course.
Our campus can be easily navigated on foot. Many stores and restaurants are within comfortable walking distance of campus. For locations a bit farther out, several public buses routinely run routes to various locals areas you may need to get to.
For more local attractions and event news in Northeast Pennsylvania, check out DiscoverNEPA!
Grocery stores, post offices, banks and more.
There's plenty of entertainment in the area. Catch a play, check out an aquarium, take in a concert or even test your deductive skills in at an escape room!
Skiing, hiking and sports opportunities can be found all over Northeast Pennsylvania!
- Bushkill Falls
- Kirby Park
- Claws ‘N’ Paws
- Frances Slocum State Park
- Nay Aug Park
- Camelback Mountain Ski Resort
- Montage Mountain Ski Resort
Sporting Events & Venues
Wilkes fields 23 NCAA varsity sports teams. Students are encouraged to attend games and cheer on their fellow Colonels! In addition, Wilkes-Barre is home to two professional sports teams.
- Ralston Athletics Complex
- Home to the Wilkes University football, soccer, field hockey, tennis, baseball, and softball teams.
- Marts Sports & Conference Center
- Home to the Wilkes University basketball and wrestling teams.
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (hockey)
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton RailRiders (baseball)
Wilkes-Barre and the surrounding region are rich in history. Some top attractions include a coal mine tour, the Scranton Iron Furances, a trolley museum and the Houdini Museum.
- Everhart Museum
- Luzerne County Museum
- Steamtown National Historic Site
- Scranton Iron Furnaces
- Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour
- Electric City Trolley Station and Museum
- Houdini Museum
Take a historic guided walk through Wilkes-Barre with the free app Walkitecture!